Thursday 27 September 2012

From far away


I like for you to be still, and you seem far away.

                                  The sun rose like a ball of fire this morning
                                  spiraling clouds of pink, yellow and orange  
                                  
In my sky at twilight you are like a cloud
and your form and colour are the way I love them.

                                 A piece of the sun landed on my hand,
                                 burnt russet and gold, the color of autumn leaves
                                 stirring my limbs and eyes damp of tears
                                 
I remember you with my soul clenched
in that sadness of mine that you know.

                                The journals are littered with pictures,  
                                letters and notes.   It smells of rosemary
                                and Chinese herbs.   My note reads:  
                                10th week, slow progress, nothing yet.     

everything carries me to you, 
as if everything that exists, 
aromas, light, metals, 
were little boats 
that sail 
toward those isles of yours that wait for me. 
                                                           
                               I gazed at the pictures, wishing we were boats
                               with the wind pushing us further into the sea.    
                               All over Europe and Asia, I battled against the clock 
                               to ease your pain. But it was like chasing
                               the hoof print of the shadow.       

The night gallops on its shadowy mare
shedding blue tassels over the land. 

                               The wind became weary of its travels and came home:     
                               bones became stones, cells raged in fury,
                               like black tide, restless and relentless waves. 

I like for you to be still: it is as though you were absent,
distant and full of sorrow as though you had died.

                               After 10 years of waiting  
                               death came like an old friend.
                               As the light slowly faded from your eyes,                        
                               I whispered the precious words
                               as if you never left me

 

And you hear me from far away 




Posted for:   D'verse Poets Pub - Collage and The Art of Cento - The left side are fragments of several poems by my favorite poet, Pablo Neruda.   The right side is based on my cousin's long  battle with cancer.   I wished my topic was little lighter but oh well ~ Thanks for your visit ~

32 comments:

  1. this is lovely...i love how your side is personal and his so descriptive almost setting the scene and mood for your verse....cancer, ugh a heart tug there it has touched my family several times...such emotion under the surface of your verse...i love that they hear you in the end....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wished my topic was lighter though ~ Thanks for the wonderful support Brian ~

      Delete
  2. This was all so elegant, so full of love and caring. It really moved me, Grace.
    I just heard on npr today, 1 of 2 males will get cancer in their lifetime~1 of 3 females.
    Damn! A flip of the coin, and i'm never lucky.
    This was really good, Grace
    ~rick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly this is happening to more and more people. My cousin tried all kinds of alternative and herbal medicines and diet, but still none worked. Thanks for the lovely words and visit Rick ~

      Delete
  3. Heartbreakingly beautiful - love the way you used Neruda - one of my favorites. Particularly like the boat images in the mid sections - just beautiful. Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful,it was tender, heartbreaking and I don't know what else to say, you've put such thought into this and it's just beautifully expressed. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh - very well done though of course incredibly sad. I've lost several close friends to cancer. So so sad. But it was like chasing
    the hoof print of the shadow.

    Is an incredibly beautiful line - this one is yours, right? Just a beautiful beautiful line. k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the right side of the poem is mine ~ Thanks for the lovely words and visit K ~

      Delete
  6. Wonderful poem, sorry about Cancer.
    You have expressed the trouble and pain beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heartbreaking and exquisite. I had planned to use Neruda too but the crows flew away from him. Everything in your work is effortless, clear, yet layered with emotional depth, strength, and courage. This is a brilliant poem..owing nothing more to its sources.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A moving piece - interspersed the way you have it, it is as if your protagonist is, while experiencing the wearying journey through the battle with cancer, reading through Neruda as a comfort. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a clever way of presentation. Sorry to hear of the affliction to your cousin! Great write Heaven!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beauty you have created from such pain...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This made me cry, Neruda is a poet I turn to comfort and unadulterated beauty. You intersperse reality and the poetry flawlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh grace...so sorry for the loss of your cousin...ten years is a long time for such a fight..painful to not be able to help except of being there, supporting and loving

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poignant weaving of the pain and beauty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cancer can be such a cruel disease, savage. Ten years is a long time to do battle with it. This is filled with love, grace, and compassion and you have turned something so full of fight into a beautiful and comforting patchwork quilt Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. a very nice and unusual structure, Heaven, very creative. I love that you always use natural elements in your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The back and forth was really well done. Cancer is such a lingering piece of junk, be nice if they got off their arses and let the cure or some treatment that actually works come out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. very unusual style...pain mixed with a writer's creativity

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like how you have intertwined this piece. Your words are a great compliment to Neruda. I love his boats that sail and your wind pushing further into the sea. I'm sorry for your loss and am happy that you have sent your voice. Very lovely, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There's so much beauty in this, even in the sad parts. You did a wonderful job here of combining your own talent with Neruda's. I like him lots too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Heaven, this is truly lovely. It was like a conversation between the two halves....each side playing off the other. I like using your own words alongside Neruda's. I am so sorry for your loss, Heaven. Cancer is a formidable opponent.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a FANTASTIC creation this is. Neruda's words so perfectly complement your moving lines about a long parting........spectacular writing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. All the best descriptive words have been said about this very special creation of yours. The emotions we feel when someone we love is in pain sometimes create our most beautiful works. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry for your loss,
    This is a beautiful tribute to your cousin. This is how I wish I could write.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a gorgeous write and beautiful use of Neruda's words for an uncommon cento - sometimes the most painful reveals (as in your lovely, poignant words) make for the most profound memorable poetry ... well done.

    http://thepoet-tree-house.blogspot.ca/2012/09/accept-shadows-centon.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Grace you are a wonderful poet.....now I must read Neruda....

    ReplyDelete
  26. No words, Heaven. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit and comments ~ I appreciate them ~